Dr. Berger is a talented psychotherapist with over 5 decades of clinical experience. He is an internationally recognized expert on the science of recovery and is credited with integrating the concepts of modern psychotherapy with Twelve Step Recovery. He is considered by most to be the leading authority on emotional sobriety. His pioneering efforts have helped us understand the critical role emotional sobriety plays in optimal recovery.
Allen Berger, PhD is a popular public speaker and nationally recognized expert on the science of recovery. His passion for expanding on the idea of Emotional Sobriety, first proposed by Bill Willson, a founder of AA, in a letter to AAGrapevine in 1953, has led to him become the most recognized thought leader on the methods to practicing Emotional Sobriety. He is the author of six books.
Dr. Berger Highlights:
- Pioneered specific psychotherapy techniques to enhance the 12 Step Recovery process.
- Pioneered the provision of services for the family members of chemically dependent people.
- California State University, Long Beach, bachelor’s in psychology and master’s degree (1979)
- University of California, Davis – Doctoral Degree (1987)
- Five decades in private practice helping couples and families use their pain or struggles to forge better relationships.
- Clinical Supervisor of the Alcohol Recovery Service of South Bay Hospital, Clinical Director of the Eating Disorders Unit of San Pedro Peninsula Hospital, work with severely disturbed patients and families at Fairfield Hills Hospital, the co-founder of The Center for Counseling and Recovery, service as Chief Clinical Officer of Cumberland Heights in Nashville, Clinical Director of La Ventana, Director of Clinical Training at the California Institute of Gestalt Experiential Therapy, and the founder of the Institute for Optimal Recovery and Emotional Sobriety.
Six Books Published:
- 12 Essential Insights for Emotional Sobriety: Getting Your Recovery Unstuck
- 12 Stupid Things That Mess Up Recovery: Avoiding Relapse Through Self Awareness & Right Action
- 12 More Stupid Things That Mess Up Recovery: Navigating Common Pitfalls on Your Sobriety Journey
- 12 Smart Things to Do When the Booze and Drugs Are Gone: Choosing Emotional Sobriety through Self-Awareness and Right Action
- 12 Hidden Rewards of Making Amends: Finding Forgiveness and Self-Respect by Working Steps 8-10
- Love Secrets Revealed: What Happy Couples Know About Having Great Sex, Deep Intimacy, and a Lasting Connection